Monday, 17 October 2011

the good, the bad & the downright ugly

So the Baby Expo. I say nothing, but my eyes speak volumes.
And as you can't see my eyes I'll have to elaborate.

Starting from the middle: the bad.

I'm probably going to get slammed for this one but I'm going ahead anyway. I HATE BARNEY.

I try hard not to judge (honestly, I really do) but I hate that purple dinosaur. I don't see any real value in introducing him into one's kid's life, I see no real education, I see nothing but problems (and a bit of sadness) with one's kids becoming so violently brand conscious at such a young age and I spent the weekend seeing so, so many kiddies melting down at the Expo because the Barney show hadn't started yet, or had just ended, or had hyped them into a stupor or hurt their ears.
I'm not just being a hater, I've thought this through. And what I saw (and heard at 1000 decibels), this weekend just confirmed it for me, I hate that guy.

The good.

Some totally gorgeous Cape Town design. I mentioned last week that Skinny laMinx was there. Blossom Creations and The Little Fire Company were two other stands stuffed with simply gorgeous baby, mama and kiddie products.
I saw so much beauty, ingenuity and inspirational local talent. Such confirmation that baby & kiddie products needn't be bedazzled, cartoon-infested or screamingly red, yellow and blue.

But instead,
~ maroon ~ 
baby sling from Blossom Creations

 ~ primrose ~

and
~ verdigris ~
smock dress from Skinny laMinx
 
 And as for the downright ugly ...

I was considering using this one for a nice or naff post but the naff-ness was too undeniable. 
Shopping trolley pouches. 
I'm not including images as I don't want to single out any one company here. We're all trying to make a living in this crazy world (shut it Barney, you've made enough dough to be fair game ok?), google it if you really want to have the experience.
The ones I saw this weekend were not particularly attractive at all but the ugly part is actually this, taken from actual marketing material:

'Shopping Trolleys have more germs than toilet seats.'

'Doesn't your child deserve a more Comfortable and Cleaner shopping experience?

Oh because the producers of these monstrosities are just sooooo concerned about your child's health and safety? Because as parents we really need more things to worry about?

By all means view shopping trolleys with suspicion. Keep your baby in a pouch or pram, swab the whole thing down with antiseptic wipes (which btw most big grocery stores offer these days), purchase a trolley pouch or fashion your own, but please, please don't let companies lure you with fear.
That's just ugly.

8 comments:

  1. I really detest that kind of marketing. Baby milk companies do it by stealth (but lets not open that particular can of worms). Makes my teeth itch that sort of tactic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you. I can’t stand Barney and the noise was actually petrifying. There is something psychologically not sound (excuse the pun) with it but that’s my opinion LOL. There were some seriously awe inspiring inventions and innovations for babies but did see some time wasting, gimmicky, fly by night, didn’t-really-think-this-through ideas too. Thanks for the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo don't get me started on baby milk companies!

    Thanks for the support Leanne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids couldn't stand Barney! So glad!

    I love the beautiful hand crafted products you have pictured. They make me want to get my sewing machine out and create! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oo, The Baby Expo 2 years ago was the most awful place I've ever been. Loud!!, crowded!!, unpleasant. Sorry I missed all these groovy local merchandise though. Such talent. Thanx! Will check them out. Barney... I think it's the American accent??

    ReplyDelete
  6. fish hates barney, runs away screeming (thats my boy haha) but will admit that i have one of those trolley pouches. i didn't purchase it though, got it as a product to review. used it often when he started sitting but refused to sit in the baby chairs on them as it has a strap. so used it for safety not the whole germ thing really...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went to the Baba Indada yesterday, it was even worse... I went in and out to get some nicely discounted nappies.
    Now I wonder whether it is worth the effort and for next year.

    ReplyDelete

it's nice to be important and important to be nice