Friday calls her Dad by his first name.
She calls me Mum, or Mummy, or sometimes Mama, but he is always Charl.
'Mum! Charl! Let's go this way!', echoes through the forest on a Sunday morning.
'Mum, Charl suggested we have a chocolate biscuit now.' Oh really?
I think it's kinda cute but he doesn't really like it.
'Clearly you're the Mum,' he says, 'but people must think I'm just the boyfriend.'
We buy our veggies on a Saturday from an old guy who comes round in his bakkie, Yunis. His kids, married with kids of their own, still call him Daddy.
'Doesn't it bug you when she calls you that?' he asks Charl one morning.
And it does a bit.
I'm fond of it 'cos that's what I call him, and I reckon she'll outgrow it eventually.
And I like to remind him it could be worse. A friend's kid when she was this age used to call him Michelle.
What do your kids call you?
i was adamant that sabin never refer to me by the danish word for mom - mor. because of its tendency to be shouted MOH-AAAHHHRR in a shrill voice. i actually makes me a bit suicidal, even just hearing other people's children say it. she calls me mom, which i suppose can also be turned into a two-syllable affair, tho' she doesn't do that often. it works for me.
ReplyDeletewith her father, she calls him "far"(FAH in danish) the rest of us just refer to him as husband.
that was supposed to be "it" makes me a bit suicidal (not "i") :-)
ReplyDeleteI would like my child to call me mom/mommy and their father, dad/daddy. It must be heart breaking for your hubby, after all its a title he well deserves.
ReplyDeleteMy mom wants her grandchildren to call her Nana and is rather adamant about it.
I love 'far' ... I wonder if it's too late to get Friday on to that?
ReplyDelete