Friday, 28 October 2011

tell me about it

A friend emailed me this is column by Carolyn Hax of the Washington Post. I'm not sure how old it is (I'm guessing pretty old 'cos it's an actual scanned article instead of a URL link ha ha), but I think it's worth sharing.


I like this not for the message to the curious friend, but because it's one of the most succinct and realistic descriptions I've come across as to what the parent/s of young children do all day (whether it's 7 or 2 days a week).
Hax manages to tick off the physical, emotional and mental To Do list in just under two columns, with every word perfectly chosen and totally spot-on.

And now I have a choice ... do I weigh in on the issue of child-free friends? Do I confront the fact that this description of parenting sounds vaguely hellish and spend time listing all the reasons why its not (well, not all the time)? Do I take pains to point out all the amazing things listed here that parents get to do? Do I archly remind any smug child-less readers that their parents did all this for them?

Nah. It's Friday and I couldn't be arsed to get all deep and controversial. Maybe next week ...

Have a good weekend everybody!

4 comments:

  1. I received this article scan yesterday in one of those bulk emails, a fellow realistic mother sent it to me and several of her girlfriends. What was funny was that one of the non-breeder friends replied to all (grrrr) with an email with an unbelievable word-count, defending her honour of being a "childless singleton" writing extensively about how horrifically busy she is. This email was soooo long, so detailed, and was absolute proof that the writer was childless: the fact that she had the time to write this incredibly long mail! Chortle chortle. Then another long one arrived replied to all later in the evening, hilarious. Cant wait for next installment! I am of the opinion that you don't know what its like to be a mom until you have adopted or popped one out, the pulling of the heartstrings is the heaviest/lightest burden that can't be explained.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome article! I used to be one of those singletons who didnt understand until my sister had her first child. I then took the responsibility to go visit her when convenient offer help in turn giving her 2 min to chat and catch up. I have noticed that people can be selfish with regards to the definition of friendship and saw that as my partying ended, my weekend jols no more; so my friends became less and far between. I believe this will be true when my baby is born but then again, who cares? I have my wonderful hubby, close knit family and a lil bear to keep me busy so all that hog wont bother me. "o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaahhh, this made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete

it's nice to be important and important to be nice