I finally caught up with Charly's Cake Angels, the local reality TV show about Charly's Bakery and the family of astoundingly creative ladies who run it.
I have a special place in my heart for Charly's having once dropped one of their magnificent Lemon Meringue Pies in Kirstenbosch long ago (hey we still ate it!) but I digress ...
Talk about cake porn. But weirdly it's not so much the cake I lust after, but all that cake decorating gear! The colours and fondant and edible glitter and icing paraphenalia ... jeez I could have so much fun with all that. Sigh.
I've long maintained that birthday baking projects are one of the best things about having kids, and in my 4 short years of parenting I've taken full advantage ... (and I'm not shy to show them off).
Friday's 2nd birthday: Penguin Cupcakes!
These were so much fun to make. Chocolate cake, black cupcake papers, black food colouring powder (which we had to darken even further with alternating drops of red and green liquid food colouring). The white dots I made with Royal Icing and the orange beaks & feet and the black wings we cut out from carefully peeled layers off Liquorice Allsorts.
Awesome no?
And did I mention fun? So much fun to make and Friday, who was deeply obsessed with penguins at the time, was suitably wowed.
The only thing we hadn't thought of ... 2 year olds + black icing. They all looked like little ghouls by the end of the party!


Oh please do share recipe!!! Love the deco ideas...always been a bit nervous baking though. I'm not a great cook to start off with, my husband does the cooking!
ReplyDeleteTip: if it's the decorating you're really into then use cake mix for the cake :) Ina Paarman's box mixes are yummy and frees up much more time/creative energy for the fun part!
ReplyDelete