Good neighbours that is.
Late one night a few months back I heard the ominously distinctive noises of
someone breaking into the house next door. I leaped from my warm bed,
peered out the window, just in time to hear glass, a lot of glass,
smashing.
It was so loud it even woke Husband. Yup, that loud.
We huddled in the shadows outside the front door, whispering details and
our address to the security company on the phone, watching aghast as
two figures in hoodies brazenly moved about in our neighbour's front
garden.
It was cold, really cold, but we kept our posts, warmed by our
conviction that we were assisting in bringing some bad guys to book.
Just before the security guards arrived we realised in distress that the
burglars were readying to leave. They carried bags out to a waiting
vehicle, parked just out of sight.
Husband crept out from our hiding place.
'They're leaving,' I hissed, disappointed. 'Get the reg number but don't be a hero!'
The car started up, bumped off the pavement and sped away. Giving us just enough time to read the slogan on the side:
24h Glass Repairs.
ADT Security roared round the corner, adrenalin-fulled armed guards jumping out, 'Did they come back?' they were shouting.
'Er ...'
Turns out our neighbours were broken into (for realz) a couple of hours
earlier. The intruder/s made off with a DVD player. The cops were on the
scene in minutes.
We heard nothing.
Everybody needs good neighbours. Even our neighbours.
Heehee. That's funny.
ReplyDeleteI am very embarrassed to admit that I had to read it twice.
I didn't get it the first time ..... :/
(I'll blame it on sleep dep) ;)