Tuesday, 8 November 2011

elgin open gardens: beaumont wines

This Saturday we had (a long) lunch at Beaumont Wines in Botriver as part of the 2011 Elgin Open Gardens.

I really wish I'd caught on to the event sooner, there were 23 participating gardens this year over two weekends, and I can imagine drifting slowly from estate to estate - lunch here, a walk there, tea here, drinks there. Needing nothing more but lots of baby-sitting, an unlimited budget, a designated driver, 4 or 5 different stomachs and an unlimited capacity for wine.
Is that too much to ask?



I've got such a nostalgic soft spot for the Beaumont's beautiful Compagnes Drift farm, having spent many, many childhood afternoons running around there (mostly bare-bummed according to our parents), and so I may be totally biased but it really is the most exquisite place.

With none of the pretension and grandeur of some (many) wine farms around Cape Town, Beaumont Wines is a family-run winery and the whole farm exudes warmth and relaxed charm.

It's home to one of the only working water mills in the Overberg area, we were given a tour by the dedicated and engaging Andy Selfe, an engineer who has restored the mill back to its current glorious working state.
Friday was intrigued by all the cogs and wheels and totally taken with watching the grain being milled. We bought a bag of flour and followed the simple recipe on the back to bake a delicious loaf for the next morning's breakfast.
A fun way to show a little girl from the city the whole process from grain to her tummy.


Lunch was on the lawns in front of the historic farm house overlooking the farm dam, home to an enormous 23 year old barbel aptly named Hoover.
Friday got to feed him 'cat food' off the jetty and marvel at his enormousness - just when she'd thought the mill was the highlight of the day.


Oh and on the subject of food ...


Zest Catering. More Beaumonts, more magnificence.


And then there was nothing really left to do except roll around on the lawn all afternoon, drinking wine and hanging out with old dear friends.
I mean ...


Life is really hard sometimes you know.


And just when you'd think I couldn't have any more gushing to do, I have to add that this was also one of those rare and magic family outings where everything just ... worked.
Sunday had her morning nap perfectly on schedule for us to leave on time. Friday was an angelic delight. No one fell in the dam. No one pee'd on the front seat of the car (although this only thanks to my superior nappy-changing skillz). There was no spitting, no fighting, no threats.
There was only fun, and laughter, and good times.
And wine.

Do you all hate me now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

it's nice to be important and important to be nice