Tuesday, 31 July 2012

we P'd on the beach

This year was the first time I got Friday involved in a Madiba Day activity.

We chatted about Nelson Mandela and why people were 'giving back' etc. I keep this kind of thing light with her, she has a particularly sensitive radar to 'Mum's trying to teach me something' and starts tuning out if she thinks I'm being too instructive.
Her ears totally perked up when I explained that we'd be spending our 67 minutes on the beach however, especially as 18 July was a rare and magnificent warm winter's day.

I'd picked up on the event via a friend on Twitter, and it sounded like a great way to do good - the goal was to win the R10 000 prize posted by a local radio station to invest in a shelter for previously trafficked women and children - get involved in our future community, the project and the shelter are based in Muizenberg, near our new home - possibly meet some potential friends from that community and, ahem, did I mention hang out on the beach?
Yes please.

So off we went, and spent a fun hour or so standing around on the Muizenberg dunes spelling out 'We (heart) Goodhope FM' in silhouette with our bodies. Friday and I were the 'P', me holding her with her legs wrapped around my waist and her back arched out - what's not to love about a dedicated chunk of time cuddling with my big girl?

Photo by Craig Wilson, www.surfers-corner.co.za
And we won! How satisfying.

I could P myself with delight!

1 comment:

it's nice to be important and important to be nice