This week I got back on my bike for the first time in months. I've managed 3 cycles in 5 days - not long distances but I've been pumping it, making those sessions work.
I'm hoping to cycle Sunday to play-group some mornings. It's about 2.5 km away, perfect distance to transport a chatty small person on the back of my bike and a good 5 km round trip for me.
Most of the route is along the recently established Liesbeeck Parkway cycle route, a nicely paved designated pathway well away from the busy road.
However, to get there I have to cross the railway line. I have 3 options.
1. Over the very busy (at that time of the morning) Station Rd bridge. Narrow pavement, fast cars and delivery vans, tricky exit at the bottom.
2. Train station subway. 1000 steps down, 1000 steps up. We'd both have to dismount and I'd have the joy of maneuvering bike and toddler up and down through hurried morning commuters.
3. Tunnel subway a bit further down the line. No steps, rancid smell of piss, potentially insalubrious encounters.
I'm thinking the bridge?
I did a test run with Sunday yesterday morning, a bit later in the day so as to avoid the worst of the traffic. She loves being on the bike, cruising along singing softly, remarking on the passing sights.
Until a very loud and stinky truck passed us, revving it up over the crest of the bridge.
There was silence behind me, and then a small whimper.
Or maybe that was me ...
Cycling Sunday to school is going to be just the same as every other aspect of parenting in a city - a question of trying to make the best informed choice from a series of options each with their own risks, and hoping like hell that you've made the best one.
Wait, maybe that's just the same as Parenting. Anywhere.
Or maybe that's just Life. Eish.
Think I might rush through the subway.
ReplyDeleteI don't envy your choices but I love the idea of cycling around.
hmmm... hyperbole is alive and well in Obs (1000 steps?).
ReplyDeleteAnd some interesting characters to go with the traffic on the bridge ... saw an old guy with brightly coloured fabric tied around his legs yesterday, and a very skinny, bent woman (not that old) who was doing a kind of a snake gyration down the road.
Ok, ok, maybe not 1000 - but I wasn't exaggerating about the stench in the subway. I tried it out the other day and it was vile! At least I know to hold my breath but Sunday was merrily singing on the back through it all - grim!!
ReplyDeleteI've been pushing her on the bike over the bridge ... I guess it's a work out of a different kind for me and she still enjoys it as much.
Oh and Lynne, I know those too - Obs regulars :)