Friday's been trying to read since she could first hold a book - no really - and The Reading Bug's been such a great resource for this parent who hadn't the first clue how to gently guide her evident interest onto a constructive path to actual reading.
Just as a baby who is never spoken to will not learn to speak, so a child who is never read to will not show much interest in reading. No surprise that Paul Jennings places a lot of emphasis on the importance of reading to our children. But he does so while acknowledging how busy modern parents are, how people these days struggle to find or make time to read themselves, let alone read to their children.
He does so by saying this, one of the most beautiful things I've ever read about reading, or indeed about parenting itself:
Reading aloud to your children gives them an incredibly strong message. Without words you are saying, 'I am not washing the car or reading the paper or watching the news. I am sitting here with you, reading a story about a little dog whose family don't recognise him when he gets dirty. I am enjoying sitting in bed with you, sharing the fun, the fears and the fellowship of this magic moment. You are the centre of my world.'
And when you look down at the sparkling eyes you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are the centre of theirs.
This act of love forms an association between the child and books. The word book brings pleasure. The feel, look and smell of books is forever linked to feelings of warmth, security and love. You have started a lifelong love affair between a child and reading.I was reminded of this passage recently.
And realised it need not just refer to a parent reading to a child, but also to a sister 'reading' to her little sister, generating all those associated feelings of warmth, security and love, and making their unobserved mama's eyes sparkle at the sight.

This comment is not meant to be antagonistic but to encourage those that do not have the resources or time to read to their kids. It is not true that "a child who is never read to will not show much interest in reading". I was never ever read to as a kid. Not one book, ever. My parents did not own any books. However, from the time I learned to read at school, I became a voracious reader, I love to read and own more books than any other possessions. I spent every spare moment in libraries and was one of those nerd kids that read all the history text books plus did additional research by taking out books on the subject. My child's current book collection is massive, I read to her often, I think. But for those that cannot, do not despair, your child will find a way! Cape Town readers can help kids find a way by getting involved in projects like the Bookery: http://www.equaleducation.org.za/bookery
ReplyDeleteJanine, you're so right! I love a grand, sweeping statement -should have thought through that one more carefully. Thanks so much for the Bookery details too, a very worthy cause.
ReplyDelete