Wednesday, 28 March 2012

I'll be the one in the concrete shoes

Now hear this. I hate the Two Oceans Aquarium.


1. It's over-priced.
I get that it costs a lot to run but so does the World of Birds and look how much 'cheeper' that is. And with so, so much more on offer.
The Aquarium's tickets are over-priced and so is everything else for sale there. It's a tourist trap, and local or international, we're all being ripped off.

2. It's boring.
Barring a few new fish and the occasional re-arrangement, nothing much has changed there since I first went 4 years ago.
Even the puppet shows operate off a handful of scripts which they rotate haphazardly.
This morning Friday said disparagingly, 'The Nemo tank is boring'. Gasp!

3. It's demographically depressing.
Nothing makes one feel like a white middle-class mother of two like a trip to the Aquarium.

4. It's over-stimulating to them, and severely under-stimulating to me.
They barrel in there full of expectations, I drag behind full of good intentions, chanting 'This will be fun. This will be fun. This will be fun.'
20 minutes later we're all in the same emotional space. Tired, irritated, needing to pee.

5. It has toads.

I succumbed to their pleas and took them to the Aquarium today. It was the first time in about 6 months and as Neptune is my witness it'll be the last for a long, long time.

I'd rather sleep with the fishes than pay exorbitant amounts of money to dash past them chasing my own kids and tripping over everyone else's.

1 comment:

  1. Any establishment that only lets you exit through its junky kitschy horrid little "souvenir" shop has to be a pre-designed rip-off ...

    ReplyDelete

it's nice to be important and important to be nice