Impossible Conversation 1:
Working Mother: ‘Where do you work?’
SAHM: ‘I don’t, I’m home with my kids.’
Working Mother feels judged.
Impossible Conversation 2:
Working Mother: ‘Where do you work?’
SAHM: ‘I don’t, I’m a full-time Mum.’
Working Mother: ‘Oh I could never do that.’
SAHM feels judged.
Impossible Conversation 3:
Woman 1: ‘I’ve 2 daughters, do you have kids?’
Woman 2: ‘No, I decided not to.’
Woman 1 feels judged.
Impossible Conversation 4:
Woman 1: ‘I’ve 2 daughters, do you have kids?’
Woman 2: ‘No, I decided not to.’
Woman 2 feels judged.
4 conversations women have with other women in which it's virtually impossible for someone not to feel judged. Usually by themselves.
One more impossible conversation:
Me to Friday in moment of extreme frustration: 'Do you have any idea how lucky you are to have me around so much? Lots of children's mummies work really hard and don't spend nearly as much time with their children.'
Friday: 'Uh?'
Serves me right for trying to have that conversation with a 4 year old. It's hard enough with my peers.
Just don't ask her any questions on eggs - she knows all the answers. You are the best mommy I know by far. And my nieces are very lucky - so am I : ) xx
ReplyDeleteI am feeling judged too for choosing not to have a second child - oooh you are so selfish etc. I am sure my bobcat is going to be just fine without a sibling. Judgement and the fear of difference is the root of all evil!
ReplyDeletegads, so true. i'm judged for not having kids, even though 'i tried' (i sometimes feel like saying!) i'm sure i'm guilty of making thoughtless comments to mothers about their kids, the same way those mom's have said ridiculous things to me like, 'well, some women were just meant to only be aunts!' yeah, i'm sure that's what the universe is telling me. thanks.
ReplyDeleteha! i like the way your presented this, it's right on!