Do you remember when everyone was getting married and you seemed to have a wedding every couple of months? Each one a good excuse to dress up (in my case this round involved less 2nd hand hippy crap and more seconds store 'designer' labels), over-indulge, REALLY throw name (often in front of aged aunties), snog any number of people, throw up, total your own car and declare it the 'best wedding ever'. Until the next one ...
Well now I'm in a stage of life where everyone is having babies, which doesn't really provide opportunity for some of the wildness described above (except for a couple of the more adventurous baby showers), but does give me an excuse to indulge in a bit of scientific analysis (cough).
Actually I just like making lists really.
Here's the names of all the babies I personally know who were born in 2011:
Iona
Alex
Cameron
Zuka
Sashin
Katie
Leo
Isaac
Juno
Harrison
Leah (two Leah’s actually!)
Adam
Christopher
Stavros
Sam
Aune
Wian
Liam
18 babies! That's not counting the one's I know of from the blogosphere or friend's of friends. And only 6 girls ... 2011 was definitely the year of the boy in my circles.
So on to the science.
Okay, it's not really science, I just picked up on the 100 Top Baby Name lists floating around and compared them to the list above. I used the Baby CentER (USA) and Baby CentRE (UK) lists and deduced the following:
Only 1 name on the above list appears on the American list, in comparison to 8 names from the UK list.
Ergo, people I know are not that concerned with popular trends when it comes to baby names, but where there are overlaps, they (mainly South Africans) still lean more towards British trends than American.
Lank interesting no?
No? Sigh.
Can't wait 'til everyone starts turning 50.
oh my God. I am old. Have NO idea what 'throw name' means
ReplyDeletehee hee, throwing your name away. which is what I (literally) would've done had my parents given me some of the names on those 2011 baby name lists!
ReplyDeleteIona was top of my list of girls names *sigh*...then bizarrely, the in-laws were actually ON the island of Iona when I gave birth! Would have been such a funny/sweet coincidence if boy2 had ended up as girl1
ReplyDeletewhat a cute post. I like your scientific methods! :)
ReplyDelete