Friday, 13 January 2012

little stream restaurant, constantia

Husband and I often rue the fact that we're bringing our kids up in an environment so very far removed from the rural childhoods we both enjoyed.
I suffer no illusions that those places haven't changed with the times, I know even if we still lived there our kids wouldn't enjoy the same freedom and unspoilt natural surroundings as we did.

But in stark contrast to our very urban existence in Observatory, the garden of my childhood had ...

... deep shady spaces in which to hide from the summer sun ...


... corners of overgrown abandoned wildness ...


... muddy ditches filled with tadpoles and adventure ...


... and a stand of giant bamboo which creaked and knocked like a wooden schooner on the high seas ...


Little Stream Restaurant and grounds reminded me of home, and for a few hours my kids lived my memory of childhood.

Explore. Paddle. Pick daisies. Learn. Live.

And then go back to the tea garden for a damn fine coffee and cake.

(their website isn't live yet - they promise it will be soon - but visit Becoming You for all the info, directions and great pics of the food)

5 comments:

  1. I swear, you get some of the most gorgeous pics! And that bamboo is HUGE! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that place! It's where we got married (long before the restaurant existed, and we had the whole place to ourselves).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you got married there! Special place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds and looks lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete

it's nice to be important and important to be nice