Thursday, 8 August 2013

small girl sads

Sunday is loving school these days. We went through a rough patch towards the end of last term (when she was so deaf poor thing) and then a rocky re-entry at the beginning of this one, but now we're in a rhythm (I'm sure being able to hear has made all the difference!), and she's loving it.

When I collected her yesterday she and her friend Max were waiting for his Mum and I, desperate to ask whether Max could come and play at our house one afternoon soon.
We made a plan for next week and Sunday was so pleased. I realised it'll be the first time she'll have an independent friend here, not one of my friend's kids or one of Friday's friends - Sunday's own friend from Sunday's own school coming to play at her own house. It's kind of a big deal.

She couldn't wait to tell Friday. 'She's going to be so 'sescited Mum! She's going to jump up and down!', couldn't wait to share her big news with her big sister.

But ... she didn't get a chance.

Friday burst out of her classroom, ponytail and backpack swinging, 'Mum, Mum, Amara says her Mum is going to phone you to ask if she can come for a sleepover on the weekend. A SLEEPOVER!! Please Mum say yes, please please please.'

And so Sunday's first playdate gets trumped by Friday's first sleepover. And as much as I tried to balance the levels and monitor who shared their exciting news with Dad first and make as much of each thrilling life event as the other, I could tell Sunday was deflated.

Does having a big sister mean one always has to share the limelight? I don't know, I don't have one. But it's a little heartbreaking to watch.


2 comments:

  1. This is beautifully written and I see Friday upstaging little gentle S all the time, so its extra sad for me to read. I am the oldest sister and when we were in our late teens I would carefully coordinate that my little sister would go on dates with two different boys I was in love with, but could not be with, because I already had a boyfriend. That way I could spend time with these two boys while they were dating my sister without crossing the infidelity line and could live vicariously through my poor little sister. I know, not cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoh, I'd heard sisters could be devious that's wicked! Fun times ahead ...

      Delete

it's nice to be important and important to be nice