Monday, 28 January 2013

marble painting

I've noticed that, especially with my older girl, there can be some resistance if it's felt I'm being too 'instructive'.
I suppose it makes sense that if I'm the person always instructing them about eating properly, dressing properly (knickers are NOT optional wear!), wearing sunblock etc they don't want to feel too dictated to when it comes to fun things, like art projects.

So this past weekend, knowing they've both done this at school, I asked them to 'show me' how to do marble painting.
I feigned complete ignorance and took instruction as to what we'd need, how to go about it etc.

A plastic muffin tray was pulled from the recycling box, 3 paint colours were chosen and a hunt around the house produced 3 different size marbles and some old medicine spoons for transferring paint-covered spheres to awaiting virgin paper. Their respective teachers taught them well!


With lots of: 'See Mum? This is how you do it', the lesson began.


These 'kitty litter' trays from the plastic shop have proved their worth (R20!) time and time again!


And then we came to the part about home art which I've always struggled with, and I think they especially love precisely because it's so unlikely to happen in a classroom environment: getting down and dirty!


For why stick to marbles if your fingers are right there at the end of your inquisitive hands?


And so endth the lesson, and the last dregs of paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment

it's nice to be important and important to be nice