I once worked a Baby Expo with a friend of mine and drove her mental counting the number of twins I saw. There were an extraordinary amount of them there but she didn't really seem to care as much as I did.
I think I'm a frustrated statistician.
And on that, allow me to drive you nuts with my ongoing fascination with baby names. These are the names of all the baba's I know born in 2012.
Trips! Jack, Olivia, Alexander
Twins! Zack & Lily-Mae
Henry
Zia (boy)
Ines
Luca
And within a week:
Faolan
Jasper
Winter (girl)
Jackson
Charlotte
Ayla
Charlie (boy)
Bennett (cousin to Charlie)
Isabella
Lila
Alexander (cousin to Charlie & Bennett!)
Arya
21 babies! Just under 50% girls this year though, better than last year's figures.
And so here's the Baby Center's (USA) list of 100 Most Popular Baby Names for the year, and here are the Baby Centre's (UK) lists - boys and girls.
And here's my deeply scientific analysis ...
6 of the names above appear on the American lists, 9 on the UK lists, showing once again, but not as conclusively as before, that South Africans seem to tend to follow English trends more closely.
That said, there's far more overlap on the US and UK lists then there was last year.
Fascinating stuff. No?
Oh, no.
I do find this fascinating.. (and not just because we are expecting and need to finalise our new one's name!)
ReplyDeleteI wish there were up to date statistics for South African trends like there are in the US and UK. But of course it is rather complicated here with all the different language groups... Anyway, one day hopefully someone in SA will take up the challenge!
By the way, do you know the website nameberry.com? Lots of interesting name stats and stuff there!
Yay! I'm not the only stats geek out there!
ReplyDeleteHello from Canada! I've just tagged you in the Next Big Thing (you can thank me later). Here's the post and the challenge: http://katherinejbarrett.com/2013/01/the-next-big-thing/
ReplyDeleteI look forward to your post :-)
Katherine