Sunday, 23 December 2012

clay garland + merry chrismis + see ya later

We've tried salt dough ornaments in the past, but this year I wanted that super white porcelain look and was really happy with this recipe, found through Pinterest (duh, of course).


Using just baking soda, corn flour and water this couldn't have been easier. Some advice I'll add to her very clear instructions though would be to just roll and cut small bits at a time, keeping the rest in a bowl covered with a damp cloth. Also keep a cup of water on hand to moisten the dough with your fingertips as you re-roll the scraps to cut again. This stuff dries fast!


I baked the ornaments for about 45 min a side at 80 degrees Celsius. And had to sand off a couple of rough patchs after they'd baked, but that might not be necessary if you use sharper metal shape-cutters.


Of course a fair number of them had to be painted and be-glitter-rated.


And then strung on ribbons and festooned about the house!

Merry Christmas, happy holidays, enjoy your hols etc. I'll be back here sometime in the New Year. For the next while (like my 'pic a day' project, ahem), I hope to be completely inconsistent, unreliable and uttery spontaneous.
Isn't that what the summer holidays are all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment

it's nice to be important and important to be nice