Nature huh? It's pretty freaking violent.
Friday's been a big David Attenborough fan since for as long as ever can be for a five year old, and I can't thank the sweet guy more for all he's taught her.
Most recently I'm grateful for how his careful ministrations on all things natural have delightfully desensitised her to how raw and just plain nasty nature can be.
There's an Egyptian Goose family which lives in our area. The week we moved in they proudly displayed 10 teeny-weeny newborn goslings carefully tended and protected by their ever present parents. Egyptian Geese mate for life, and both parents are actively involved in raising their young.
In the weeks that have followed the daily (actually many times a day) excitement is to spot the family, count the goslings, comment on their growth etc.
We've grown quite fond of them.
So when they were violently set-upon by a rogue lone male right in front of our eyes one day I was horrified. Caught in the middle of the waterway the goose family huddled together, the parents taking turns to fight tooth and nail (beak and wing? feather and flipper?) to protect each other. But the attacker was strong, and soon wore the parents out until they were both floating with their heads low in the water, listing sideways and not looking too healthy at all.
Then he turned on the chicks. He pounced, grabbing them by their necks and shaking them violently, throwing them into the water and pouncing again.
The parents in turn tried to rally themselves, driven on by the hysterical squawking of their young they valiantly threw themselves on the invading goose and finally he was driven off.
The family limped ashore, all still screaming and crying.
I was traumatised.
Friday was fascinated. She calmly recounted the goslings and declared, amazed, 'They all survived Mum, I was sure we'd see some dead ones after that!' She then excitedly told and retold the story, practising for the animated version she'd share with her Dad when he got home.
I needed a drink.
I vote for the drink too!
ReplyDelete